Congratulations to Melissa Roth for winning Most Unique Pie at our first annual bake off! She was kind enough to share her pie recipe with us, alongside with her own personal tips that made her pie pop out at the judges. Let us know how your own Sugar Cream pie turns out – Tweet or Facebook us!
Sugar Cream Pie Recipe
- 1 1/4 cups white flour
- 1/4 t salt
- 1/2 cup butter chilled
- 2 Tablespoons ice water
- Mix flour and salt. With a pastry cutter, cut in cold butter until the mix looks like coarse crumbs. Drizzle in the ice water and toss around to evenly distribute the water.
- Gather dough particles together into a ball. Wrap in waxed paper and put in fridge for 30 minutes+
- Roll out dough and put in pie plate.
Sugar Cream Filling:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/8 t salt
- 2 1/2 cups half n’ half
- 5 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 6 Tablespoons butter
- Mix sugar, cornstarch, half n’ half, and salt in saucepan. Cook to boiling point (around medium on my stove) stirring constantly along the bottom of pot.
- Add vanilla and butter and return to heat. Cook, stirring constantly until thickened. (It can feel like it takes forever the first time but it’ll happen as long as it’s on medium heat).
- Transfer mix into pie shell and sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Bake at 325F or 350F for about 30 minutes (I just keep my eye on it until it looks good).
Melissa’s tip: If it hasn’t browned, I dab a bit of butter on the crust/pie filling, put it on the top rack, and broil it for a minute or so – but it’s very important to watch the pie the whole time it’s broiling since it’s easy to burn!