The Royal City Farmers Market Board has decided to begin publishing its monthly meeting minutes online, to better empower and inform RCFM members and supporters. RCFM board meetings are open for members to attend. Upcoming meetings are listed in the RCFM online calendar. Please note: the public version of meeting minutes will not include detailed notes on finances, employee relations or in camera discussions out of respect for individuals’ privacy.
Attending: Andrew, John, Marg, Matthew, Sheila, Jen
Guests: Will and Briana Tomkinson
1. Introduction of Will Tomkinson to the board
Andrew introduced Will and Briana to the group and Will described his background, commitment to New West and interest/activities with the market.
MSC: that we nominate Will Tomkinson to the RCFM Board for the remainder of the year. Will accepted.
MSC: adoption of the agenda; MSC adoption of the July 22 minutes.
3. President’s report (Andrew):
– the August 13 “Get Active” market was deluged with rain; but guest organizations stayed on
– August is usually a doldrum period for most markets. Promoting the market continues. Last year visitor numbers increased in Sept.
– The Nutrition Program is now maxed at 50 families. The “stage 2” group of our New West partner called “Baby & Me” (based in Burnaby, but many New West mums) is now our 2nd partner group. The future of this program may be in jeopardy with the Min. of Health cuts.
– Andrew visited Jaimie McEvoy and Shiloh United Church as another potential partner just as this 2nd group joined the program.
– Art in the Park continues and artists seem very pleased with the opportunity to show; also adds to our sense of community found at the market.
– Andrew attended the biweekly Ladner market last Sunday. This market has great support from Ladner businesses
– Andrew will be attending a mtg called by Surrey market on Sept. 1 to look at current issues such as visitor attendance, sites. Other markets have heard good things about the New West vibe!
4. Treasurer’s report (Marg)
5. Operations Manager report (Jen)
– the 150 Market was a success, band was great, vendors happy. Jen sent the city 150 committee a thank-you letter. We ran ring toss at the City’s 150 celebration event.
– Sept 10 will be a Youth Sports market – several city groups and leagues will have registration/information tables. We will provide space for their own tables & tents in the grassy area.
– Vendors have been at capacity at every market even with a couple of cancellations. Vendors are still calling and Jen is trying to accommodate. Crafters are about 12-15% of the tables.
– The photo contest has gone well the last 2 months. At the end of the year there will be a random draw with a prize winner.
– Need more hot food vendors
6. Old Business
– Discussion on storage and vehicle to tow the RCFM trailer. Will & Briana offered storage space at the bottom of their yard. We may be to use a side-mounted canopy on the trailer for our market table.
– Code of conduct (from last meeting). Marg reported hard to find such things from other organizations.
– Marg distributed a draft Board Job Description. Discussion and suggestions. To review again at next meeting.
7. New Business
a) Winter public market.
The Newsleader last week had a story on a possible winter RCFM market. We have not looked at or decided to yet, but there is a question on winter market on our customer survey. Key item to consider is location. City has nothing, so would need to look at private sites. Dates and more marketing are also important.
MSC the Board research the idea of a winter market including dates, times, location, vendor issues and survey results, with a report back to the next September board meeting. Will, Andrew and John volunteered to work on this.
b) Membership communication
Briana had offered constructive feedback to Andrew earlier. We could do a monthly or quarterly summary of progress/highlights to members, offer more volunteer opportunities, offer member recognition such as Christmas cards. Jen offered to do a monthly newsletter for members.
We have 1,500 cards left. Last year we mailed them to targeted neighbourhoods. As meeting time was running out, Andrew will send out a motion by email.
d) Vendor representative
John resigned board vendor rep position.
MSC: We create a vendor liaison board position; Will volunteered for this role for the rest of the season.
e) Visitor survey and web site report
Briana provided board with written reports on survey results to date (both at the market & online). The survey will continue into Sept & October. Feedback overall very positive.
Next meeting: September 16, 7:00 pm – RCFM members welcome to attend. For location information, please contact the board.