Congratulations to Andra Louie for a double whammy win at RCFM’s first annual Pie Bake Off! She won over the judges’ taste buds and stomachs to capture Best Overall and Best Crust with her Lemon Dreams pie.
Andra is creative inside and outside of the kitchen. She enjoys working and volunteering in the arts community, including the Vancouver Folk Music Festival and New Westminster’s Vagabond Players. Andra and her husband, Mark, are kept entertained by their active two-year old and are otherwise busy exploring the city and great outdoors.
Andra dared to share her winning pie recipe with us! Give it a try yourself and let us know how it turns out!
Lemon Dreams Pie Recipe
- 1 1/4 cups graham crumbs
- 1 tbsp sweetened coconut
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- Mix together in a bowl and then press into a 9 inch pie pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 8-10 minutes.
- Let cool completely.
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 6 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon
- 3 egg yolks, well beaten
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 tsp grated lemon (and orange) zest
- Combine the sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Gradually blend in cold water and fresh lemon juice (I mixed in a little orange juice, too) until smooth.
- Add egg yolks and blending thoroughly.
- Add butter in small chunks.
- Gradually add the boiling water while stirring constantly.
- Bring to a full boil, stirring gently. Once it begins to thicken, reduce the heat and let simmer for one minute. Remove from the heat and stir in the grated lemon (and orange) zest.
- Pour into pie crust and let it set for a few hours.
Andra served this pie with chilled whip cream and toasted coconut on top. Enjoy!