We are so pleased that the sun came out last week in time to help us celebrate the opening of our 2012 season. If you missed last week, why not join us 3 – 7 this Thursday in beautiful Tipperary Park where about 40 vendors will be offering fresh produce, hand made one of a kind crafts, amazing delicious foods, and lots of fun!
Music this week is crowd favourite Ron Ulrich. Our music at the market is sponsored by the great people at the Heritage Grill. Be sure to check out the kids area – this week we are offering tie dying – a fun Father’s Day themed craft that experiments with colour mixing.
As well, as we are pleased to host a very special guest this week: local author, JJ Lee.
Just in time for Father’s Day, JJ Lee, fashion columnist and author of critically-acclaimed work of non-fiction, The Measure of a Man: The Story of a Father, a Son, and a Suit, will be setting up a Sartorial Help Booth at the market. For a donation but no less than a nickel, of course, JJ will help you with your menswear conundrum. You’ll get the same quality advice he prescribes every month to readers of The Vancouver Sun. Proceeds go to our local food bank.
JJ will also read from his book and is available to sign yours. Copies of the newly released paperback edition are available to purchase.
The Measure of a Man was declared one of the best memoirs of 2011 by The Globe and Mail. Amazon.ca, Kobo, and The Globe and Mail also made it one of the top books overall for 2011. It was a finalist for the 2011 Governor-General’s Literary Award for Non-Ficiton, a finalist for
the 2012 Charles Taylor Prize for Non-Fiction, and a finals for the Hubert Evans Award for Non-Fiction presented by the 2012 BC Book Prizes. Described by The National Post as “touching and inquisitive . . . [a] striking and accomplished blend of humour, information and pathos. . . . [a] thoughtful and intermittently provocative memoir.”
You can reach the market via transit by taking the 106 bus or the Skytrain to Columbia Street Station and walking to the market at 4th and Royal. Parking is available in the neighbourhood for free along Royal Avenue, Queens Avenue, or at City Hall’s lot after 4:30. Please respect our neighbours.
Bringing your bike? Cyclists can drop bikes off to the fine folks at our info desk for safekeeping.
A list of all vendors attending the June 14 market is below, but remember to check back for cancellations and updates! This list is current as of June 12.
- Gogo Java – coffee, tea, smoothies, juice, and other liquids
- Mollie’s Minis – delightful and yummy mini donuts and other treats
- Pazzarella Auto Pizzaria – pizza napoletana
- Samosa Guy – hot vegetarian samosas and pakoras, as well as frozen take home samosas
- Celyddon Farms – certified organic produce from Delta
- Maan Farms – assorted locally grown produce
- Nature Village Farm – Asian produce, potted herbs, and mushrooms grown in Richmond
- Pitchfork Organic Farm (Glen Valley Organic Farm)- certified organic fruits, vegetables, herbs and eggs
- Sandhu Growers – produce
- Greendale Herb and Vine – cheddar cheese, cheese curds, herbs, nut butters and honeycomb
- Little Qualicum Cheeseworks – high quality cheese from Vancouver Island
- Jane’s Honey Bees – honey and other bee products
Meat & Fish
- Outwest Ranches – beef raised locally and fresh eggs
- Port Hardy Seafood – BC caught fish and prawns
- Rockweld Farm – BC frozen chicken and chicken products including eggs
- Sawmill Bay Shellfish Company – family run shellfish farm, growing oysters, mussels, clams, and scallops on the waters near Read Island BC
- Sleeping Mountain – organic turkey
Bread & Baking
Delectable Treats and Prepared Yummies
- Ace Curries To Go – curry sauces
- Amber’s Choice – soups, salad dressing and cookies
- Anne’s Gallery – jams, jellies & knitting
- Chanthorn Orchids and Thai Curry Sauce – Thai curry, satay and Pad Thai sauces and orchid plants
- Gary’s Kettlecorn – kettlecorn
- Great Himalaya Foods – Himalayan food and cereal
- Gourmet Savories – antipasto and pesto
- Injiver Ginger Crack Company – ginger syrup and candy
- Simply Delish Soup Co – layered soup mix, rice pilaf mix, and spice rubs
- Smartleaf Tea – tea and tea baths
- Take a Fancy Chocolates and Sweets – handmade chocolates right from scratch
- Blue Rose Designs – handmade crochet bags, jewelry and accessories
- Danielle Makes Things – hand crafted beeswax candles
- Dingolay Glass Creations – African and Caribbean fused glass jewelry
- Lily Bug Soy Candles – scented soy candles
- Nautilus Accessories – hair accessories, clutches and purses.
- Raven’s Rest Studio – trinkets, crafts, and jewelry
- Scentimental Creations – soaps, lotions, hand made cosmetics
- Uriel Black Design – ceramics