There is a chill in the air and a sparkle of frost on my lawn as I sip and enjoy a cup of hot tea. I’m looking forward to our next winter market and am thrilled that we’ll have five fresh produce vendors along with vendors selling seafood, dairy, meat, jams, jellies, dips, and bakers galore. I hear rumour of Christmas fruit cake! Yum! In a hat-tip to the gift giving mood of the season, extra artisans and crafters will be in every nook and cranny we can find. Shopping locally is easy at the market.
We’ll be listening to the sounds of The Singing Lovelies, a local acappella sister duet performing traditional and modern holiday favourites. Thanks go to the New Westminster Museum and Archives for dressing the ladies in period costumes.
We’re thrilled that our friends at Knit 1, Take 2, a knitters’ group dedicated to sharing the skills and the laughs, will be hosting a “knit-in” in the lounge. They’re also bringing along finger knitting, spool knitting, and yarn art for the kids. Whether you’re an expert or if you’ve never knitted you are welcome to join the volunteers from Knit 1, Take 2 and learn about their group and enjoy some knitting. If you have needles, bring ’em along, but feel welcome with or without. Joining them in the lounge is Harmony Works Chair Massage – treat yourself to a little timeout!
We’re also pleased to have as extra guests in the lobby the Parent Support Services Society of BC, an amazing federally registered charity whose goal is to build healthy communities, one family at a time. They’ll be offering their main fundraiser – Cooking Up Comfort – a cookbook chock full of recipes, activities, and parenting tips for just $15.
Last month, courtesy of Translink, we gave away a 3 zone transit pass to one lucky market shopper. She won just because she showed us her bus transfer and was entered in the draw. This month our transit incentive is a gorgeous recycled fleece zip up jacket, perfect for the chilly weather. The entry box is located at the RCFM info desk in the lobby, where you can also pick up a 2011 RCFM membership for just $10. Be a part of our organization!
The winter market is Saturday December 11th from 10AM-2PM at Holy Trinity Cathedral, located at 514 Carnarvon Street in New Westminter. It is located very close to the Columbia Skytrain station and free parking is also available courtesy of the City of New Westminster in the Downtown Waterfront Parkade, only a few minutes walk from the market.
Here’s the list of vendors at this market!
Eat On Site
- Copeland Foods – hot vegetarian samosas, as well as frozen take home meat pies and ready-to-eat dinners
- Gogo Java – Coffee, tea, smoothies, juice, and other liquids
- Arkelsteyn-Vogler Farm – winter vegetables grown in Abbotsford
- Forstbauer Family Natural Food Farm – organic produce, eggs, and beef
- Golden West Farms – Okanagan fruit grown in Summerland, many certified organic
- Misty Mountain Specialties – fresh wild and cultivated mushrooms, dried mushroom products
- Shalefield Organic Gardens – produce from the Columbia Valley
- Greendale Herb and Vine – Cheddar cheese, cheese curds, herbs, fresh muesli, nut butters and honeycomb
Meat & Fish
Bread & Baking
- A Bread Affair – Breads
- Blackberry Hill – Baked Goods
- High Crow Gluten Free Foods – celiac friendly gluten free baking
- Sweet Thea Cake Company – tarts, pies, cookies, and cakes
- AJI Gourmet Products – sauces made using aji spice
- Anne’s Gallery – Jams, jellies & knitting
- Gary’s Kettlecorn – Kettlecorn
- Maples’ Sugar Shack – maple syrup products
- Simply Delish Soup Co – layered soup mix, rice pilaf mix, and spice rubs
- Alma Valle Fine Silver Jewelry – handcrafted sterling silver original jewelry
- Black Bamboo Artisans – hand made glazed pottery and knitting
- Dingolay Glass Creations – African and Caribbean fused glass jewelry
- Diva Dawg Clothing Company – dog clothing and accessories, altered art bracelets for humans
- Grandma Suzanne’s Teddies – knitted teddy bears from an old English pattern
- Ildiko Jewelry – hand forged sterling silver jewelry
- The Magpie’s Nest – stunning hand made jewelry in silver
- The Other Eden – cold process soaps scented with essential and fragrance oils, room sprays, body products
- Pomomama Designs – wire crochet jewelry and accessories, fused fabric and metal art
- Sew Sweet Quilting – handmade quilts and quilted accessories
- Harmony Works Chair Massage – on site chair massage